The evolution of Lydiard Park can be traced through a series of maps and plans dating back to 1700. They chart the transformation from seventeenth century manor with extensive formal gardens to the Georgian English Landscape Garden style familiar to visitors today. Annotated plans provide evidence of the exchange of lands between the house and church in the nineteenth century and record sales of large parts of the Bolingbroke estate in 1920,1930 and finally 1943, when the house and remaining 750 acres were sold.
Tithes maps and Ordnance Survey maps are a rich source of evidence for local farms and field names, lost landmarks and buildings. In contrast, surveys of Lydiard’s World War II German POW hospital camp and architect’s drawings setting out the camp’s conversion into temporary homes for local people in the 1950s, reflect a new encounter with a transforming world.
The highlight of this collection is a huge and beautifully drawn and coloured survey of lands in Wiltshire belonging to Frederick St.John, 2nd Visct Bolingbroke in 1766, courtesy of the Wiltshire and Swindon History Centre.
We have identified more maps and plans than are currently displayed here and we will endeavour to make them available over the coming months. Know Your Place – Wiltshire (Bristol.gov.uk) is well worth exploring for Ordnance Survey and Tithe Maps on Lydiard Tregoze. Tithe maps are linked to transcripts of the tithe awards.