Farleigh Hungerford Castle, near Bath, UK
Hidden Content, Images, Videos and Documents
Farleigh Hungerford Castle was occupied by the Hungerford family for 300 years. Thomas Hungerford, the first Speaker of the House of Commons, bought the manor house in 1370 and soon set about turning it into a castle. The outer court was added in the 15th century.
Its connection with the St.John family of Lydiard Tregoze came about through the marriage of Lucy Hungerford (who was born in the castle) and John St.John in 1582.
During the English Civil War Farleigh Hungerford castle was owned by Sir Edward Hungerford who fought for the Parliamentarians. The castle was captured by Royalist forces between 1643 and 1645. Because Sir Edward had stood for the parliamentary cause the castle was one of very few which escaped slighting (the deliberate damage of high-status buildings to reduce their value as military, administrative or social structures) at the end of the Civil War. It was no longer occupied by the 18th century and fell into ruin.
English Heritage are custodians of the castle which is open to the public. 'The castle was occupied for 300 years by the remarkable Hungerford family and today their intriguing, yet sometimes gruesome stories are told through graphic panels and a free audio tour. There are many hidden treasures - the chapel with rare medieval wall paintings and family tombs, extensive displays in the Priest’s house, and for those who are brave enough to enter the crypt, there’s the best collection of human-shaped lead coffins in Britain.' (English Heritage website).
- Sir Thomas Hungerford
- Farleigh Hungerford, Bath, Somerset, BA2 7RS
- English Heritage
- English Heritage Trust
- Last updated on:
- Thursday 27th January 2022